Chittlin's and Chopsticks

Writer and mother, Terris McMahan Grimes, the Mother From Another Continent, an her friends share their slighty off kilter parenting views and their takes on a whole lot of other things.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Joe--I Know You're Not A Racist


Joe, isn't it funny how good intentions can go so far awry?

I feel for you, Sweetie. Really, I do. If the Bush Baby can actually be president, you can at least run for the seat. Don't listen to your detracters. Run, Joe. Run your hardest.

Obama is clean. I know what you meant. You been boning up on Negro Speak, haven't you. You read Clarence Major's, Juba to Jive: A Book of African American slang, cover to cover, didn't you? You know what a lot of people don't--You know that when you referred to Obama as "clean" you meant he dresses with impeccable taste, he has a certain sartorial flair.


Joe, your campaign needs me. Hire me as your consultant. I'll explain things like this to the public. I'll help you stay the rhetorical straight and narrow. I can guarantee the Air Mom vote. Have your people call my people. Okay?

Words are my livelihood, Joe. They're my best friends. I play with them, build with them. If you want to compliment me, don't call me articulate, Sweetie. Call me brilliant.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 2/09/2007 5:49 AM , Blogger Not From Lapland said...

articu...sorry, brilliant. ;)

 
At 2/09/2007 8:15 AM , Blogger OhTheJoys said...

I didn't know the slang meaning for "clean" until I read this... I'm for Obama.

 
At 2/10/2007 3:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hillarious!!! Genius!!! Charles Osgood needs to give you a segment on Sunday Morning. This sounds like something Nancy Giles would have come up with LOL! I was reading your bio in the purple section of yor blog. I didn't realize you were a really, really, really serious writer. You go Ma! I'm a baseball fan (go Cardinals) and I like sports history too (a customer complimented me on my Kansas City Monarchs cap yesterday) so I can't wait for your Negro Leagues novel to come out. Kep up the great material.

 
At 2/18/2007 11:53 AM , Blogger Mother said...

My dear, sweet, Martin, thank you for your comment.

Kansas City Monarchs--wow! My dad, Terris "The Terrible" McDuffie, played for the Newark Eagles the longest.

 
At 2/18/2007 11:54 AM , Blogger Mother said...

Surviving Motherhood:

Thank you. Another of my traits is humility.

 
At 2/18/2007 11:56 AM , Blogger Mother said...

To Oh the Joys:

I love me some Obama!

By the way, I think "clean" meant well dressed in the fifties.

 
At 3/07/2007 11:22 PM , Blogger David McQueen said...

You have a new fan!
Love this.
(** Note to self. Subscribe!)

 
At 3/08/2007 12:29 AM , Blogger Mother said...

Thank you, David. Welcome to Mother's place.

 
At 9/03/2014 6:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...



my site; beep.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

More blogs about mother from another continent.